Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Terri's Journal: Week Five


I’d say it’s safe to say that summer is finally here! The sun is shining, the kids are out of school, and the tourists are on their way into town. I’m about ready to hit the beach!

From what I’ve learned while sorting through the museum’s archives, summer on the Sunshine Coast has always been a pretty neat time. I’ve seen pictures of canoe pillow fights and trophies for swim races. There’s always been lots to do here in the summer.

You could even say Sea Cavalcade was the result of there being too much to do! Before Sea Cav started in 1969 each community on the Sunshine Coast had its own summer celebration at a different times – Sea Cavalcade was the result of bringing our communities and all their traditions together. Luckily we don’t need a time machine to attend! The celebrations are July 27/28 this year, don’t miss it!.

I’ve never worked in a position that deals so directly with tourism before. I’m a little excited to see who I will meet over the coming weeks. The Sunshine Coast gets lots of tourists over the summer months; I’ve always been curious about what brings people to our little seaside hamlets. Of course I know it’s beautiful here, and our summer events can’t be beat, but how the heck did you even hear about us in the first place? Whenever I tell someone in Victoria (where I go to school) that I’m from Sechelt the answer I get is uniformly “Where?” So, that’s what I’m excited about right now: the chance to hear some of those “what brought you here” stories.

What are you excited about this summer?


Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think...